I have to admit I’m a bit of an Oscars tragic, so I watched this year’s 88th Academy Awards with customary excitement, most of which was channelled into cheering on Mad Max: Fury Road to as many wins as possible – six in total, as it turned out. Including one for one of my new personal heroes, costume designer Jenny Beaven.
My favourite moment, just in front of being very happy for Leonardo DiCaprio, was Mark Rylance’s win for Best Supporting Actor. I haven’t seen Bridge of Spies, but he was absolutely masterful in Wolf Hall as Thomas Cromwell. Truly.
What else am I celebrating this week?
- Still in Hollywood territory, Kate McKinnon’s Carol parody is magnificent.
- Readings bookshops are a Melbourne institution. We visited one in this Melbourne Museum video:
Well, the city is about to get two more stores – including a dedicated children’s bookshop!
- I like this piece ‘Top 10 skills high school students need to thrive‘ on Essential Kids. As we’re marching steadily towards this phase in our lives, I’d better be prepared!
- I’ve been reading about this new writing device/tool called the Freewrite: It’s expensive – but ticks the right kinds of distraction-eliminating boxes.
- Who else wants to see Loving Vincent after watching this? *hand up*
Note: There’s less than a month until My Creative Process begins and time is running out for early bird registrations – quick sticks! Don’t miss out.
Have a lovely weekend x